Tekra Fundamentals - What is Polyester Film?
PET 101: Understanding the properties of polyester film
What is polyester film?
Polyester is a versatile plastic film that excels in having an exceptional combination of optical, physical, mechanical, thermal, and chemical properties. Polyester is also known as Biaxially Oriented Polyethylene Terathalate (BOPET). The name “PET” is the common abbreviation for the chemical name “polyethylene terephthalate”.
What are Melinex® & Mylar® polyester films?
Melinex ® & Mylar® are terms associated with the polyester (PET) brands produced by DuPont Teijin Films™. Since 1992, Tekra has been an authorized distributor and trusted source of polyester films by DuPont Teijin Films.
What are the properties of Melinex® & Mylar® polyester films?
- Superior chemical, physical, thermal, and electrical properties
- High tensile strength, impact and tear resistance
- Withstands temperatures up to 300°F
- Inert to most chemicals
- Excellent dielectric strength
- Produced in super clear (<1% haze) to white opaque (97% opacity)
- Manufactured in gauges ranging from 48 gauge (0.48 mil) to 1400 gauge (14 mil)
- Surface treated based on application: Print treated for adhesion promotion; slip treated for handle-ability, and more
- Heat stabilized (ST) film types available for enhanced dimensional stability (MD @ .1%)
What are the different types of Melinex® & Mylar® polyester?
There are many types Melinex® & Mylar® polyester film available, depending on the requirements of the application. Tekra can add functional coatings for scratch & chemical resistance, as well as digital print receptivity.
- Heat Stabilized PET : Engineered to maintain functional performance at elevated processing temperatures
- Hardcoated PET : Polyester films can be coated with Tekra’s Marnot® XL, Marnot Advanced™, ProTek®, and Terrapin® hardcoats. These hardcoated films provide improved abrasion resistance, chemical resistance, pencil hardness, and other benefits over uncoated polyester.
- Polyester Performance Films: For demanding applications, including flame retardant, index matched, UV stabilized, and thermally stabilized films.
- Polyester Industrial Films : The unique combination of physical, thermal, chemical and optical properties make polyester ideal for a wide range of industrial film applications.
- Polyester Medical Films : Tekra has special expertise in Medical Diagnostics as DuPont Teijin Films™ exclusive authorized diagnostics distributor for polyester films serving North America.