3M™ Performance Label Materials consist of an adhesive coated on a backing that is then sandwiched in between a facestock. Depending on the particular facestock, a topcoat may also be applied to aid print receptivity. 3M has over 150,000 combinations of adhesives, topcoats, facestocks and liners available to help meet unique needs and expectations.
Navigating through the available label options of 3M label stocks can, on the surface, seem difficult. Let Tekra's years of adhesive industry knowledge make this process easy for you. Having an understanding of a label's primary function will allow us to help you select the proper label for your particular application. Knowing the surface type the label will be in contact with and if it will subjected to any unusual conditions is two of the most critical pieces of information we'll ask for. The label's ultimate adhesive requirements will come next. 3M offers a variety of both solvent and emulsion adhesive families that will allow your label to either be:
Label Stock Features -- Clear, Vinyl & More
Not only is the adhesive choice a primary variable when selecting a product, the facestock plays an integral role as well. Some of 3M's facestocks and their distinguishing features include:
- Polyester- Clear, rigid film with high tensile strength, tear resistant.
- Polyethylene- High tear resistance and elongation with low tensile strength.
- Vinyl- Flexible, semi-rigid or rigid. Low tear resistance, good outdoor weatherability.
- Polystyrene- Economical, hard, rigid film. Not recommended for outdoor use.
- Polypropylene- Semi-hard film with high tear resistance.
- Polyimide- Ultra-high temperature performance.
- Acrylate- Ultra-high temperature performance and chemical resistance.
- Polycarbonate- Good chemical resistance and excellent moisture resistance.
- Aluminum Foil- Top coated for ink receptivity and great for embossing.
Finally, having an understanding of a label's ultimate shape and surface conditions and knowing what type of equipment a label will be printed on will help us direct you to the correct label for your application.
Check out the 3M™ Converter Markets Selection Guide for more product details.