Wearable medical devices are becoming more and more popular for such applications as a means of delivering drug therapies (transdermal drug delivery systems), health diagnostics, and continuous health monitoring. With the growth of more holistic applications such as essential oils and CBD, skin-contact adhesive solutions for skin contact medical device applications are expected to grow exponentially over the next several years.
Selecting the Right Adhesive for Your Wearable Medical Device
Finding the right skin-contact adhesive for the application can be challenging based on a variety of factors:
- Skin type (sensitivity)
- The presence or absence of body hair
- Individual activity level
- Placement on the body
Medical Device Adhesive Features: Breathable, Water Resistant, Conformability, and Repositionability
3M has developed a portfolio of medical adhesives designed to address many of the application challenges related to skin contact of wearable devices. Whether the application is short-term wear (≤ 3 days) or long-term wear (≤14 days) Tekra can supply skin-contact adhesive solutions designed for applications requiring breathability, repositionability, water resistivity, and conformability. We have both single-coated and double-coated differentiated adhesive options.
3M’s Go To Medical Adhesive Products for Wearable Applications
- 3M™ Microporous Rayon Nonwoven Medical Tape 1530
- 3M™ Microporous Tan Rayon Nonwoven Medical Tape 1533L
- 3M™ Medical Tape 9834, Single-Sided Polyurethane, 78# Carrier, Configurable
- 3M™ Spunlace Polyester Nonwoven Medical Tape 1776
- 3M™ Double-Coated Spunlace Nonwoven Tape #9917
- 3M™ Nonwoven Medical Tape 9907T
- 3M™ Two-In-One Double-Coated Polyester Medical Tape 1577
- 3M™ Printable White Rayon Nonwoven Medical Tape 1529
- 3M™ Microporous Nonwoven Medical Tape 1530L
- 3M™ White Polyolefin Foam Single-Coated Medical Tape 1774W
- 3M™ Polyethylene Tape 9865, 4.4 mils, 63# Liner (surface treated for printing)
- 3M™ Gentle Two-In-One Double Coated Polyester Tape 1587
- 3M™ Medical Silicone Tape 2477P
To learn more please contact Tekra.com to review your application and adhesive options.